Thursday, March 3, 2011

Retreat 2011

So tomorrow we embark on our 3 day high school retreat. A romantic get-away with 30 high schoolers! Matt and I have been doing youth group at our church since 2001, and we keep saying it may be time to move on, but yet we continue to feel called to continue leading this ministry. In a church that sometimes feels like it is dying, our youth group is committed, strong, and continuing to pull kids from the community. We may not get paid like other youth leaders, we certainly have very limited resources, and we all have kids and jobs, yet every 1st and 3rd Sunday we are reminded about the very basics of our faith by being with these kids. Our winter retreat is not exactly a retreat for the 7 leaders, but a pretty intense time of Bible study, discussion and preparation for a very unique weekend. I continue to enjoy this time because it brings me back into focus with what God is doing in my own life, and where He needs me to be. Our theme this year is "Listen Up!" How often does the business of our lives and the world make us deaf to what He is whispering to us? Sometimes He is even talking loud, and we still can't hear because of the constant distractions around us. Praying that God Speaks to everyone of our kids this weekend, and to myself.
Isaiah 40:28-31
(our theme verse)

28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Sound Of Your Voice
by Third Day (theme song)

I ran away from your love
But you waited for me
Yes, you waited for me
And then I heard your song
Singing over me
Singing over me

Now that I hear you, Lord
I want to know you more
I want to know you more

Sing your song to me
Oh, there's no greater thing
Than to listen to the sound of your voice
When I hear your song
I want to sing along
And listen to the sound of your voice
The sound of your voice

Lord, I am calling your name
And I'm waiting for you
Yes, I'm waiting for you
So won't you show me your way
And I will follow you
Yes, I will follow you

Singing over me
Bringing peace and mercy
With a song that never ends
Singing over me
Marvelous and holy
Lord, I want to hear your song again

No comments:

Post a Comment