Tuesday, July 19, 2011

live it!

Jenny's "goodbye" pictures

Why are we doing this?

In 12 hours, we leave on a bus from Unity CRC with 20 high schoolers and another couple. A 13 hour drive will land us in Marion, Indiana at Indiana Wesleyan University for Youth Unlimited's Live It (formally known as convention). I have never been to Indiana, nor have I ever driven through the entire state of PA. Guess that will all change today. This experience is different than in years past, and with an emphasis on service, going out and doing, I'm pretty sure kids and leaders alike will meet with and worship God in some unique ways.

This trip has brought up some anxieties, along with some excitement. Every time we have ever left the girls over night, it has been for youth group functions. (Matt and I keep saying we want to get away just the two of us, but then we end up getting away with just the 20-30 of us). Every year we have our retreats, and 2 years ago we traveled to NC for convention, and today we travel west.

This year the trip has been especially rough for the girls, as they now understand time and are very aware of their reliance on us. I know they will be fine and will have fun with the 4 different friends, babysitters and grandma's taking care of them (think I have that schedule straight!), but they still have shown quite a bit of anxiety about us leaving. Last night Jenny was diligently working on something, and I was not allowed to look. She came to Matt and I and with tears in her eyes told us to take these with us and whenever we missed her to look at them to remind us of her.

As a mom, I am trying to leave everything "just so" for everyone so that my kids keep somewhat of a routine and have some surprises from mommy and daddy every day, and making sure that those who stay at or use my house will find it comfortable and "easy" to watch my kids in. This is where I get myself worked up, and then I get frustrated that I am leaving, and then I start thinking about what else I could be doing this upcoming week, and then I feel bad about leaving my kids for a week . . .

But then I come back to the question I started this post with. Why do we do this? I don't have an answer to this question, but I know that God always surprises Matt and I when we ask this question in connection to working in His kingdom.

I'm praying that God reveals an answer to this question for me in the next 6 days.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Phillippians 4:6-7

3 comments:

  1. Your kids will be absolutely fine! More importantly, I'm sure if you stop and listen, God will reveal His purpose and reminder to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost teared up reading this just because Jenny's pictures are cute and reason for it was adorable! You will be back before you know it and they will have a great week this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did tear up!! Praying for all of you!!

    ReplyDelete